Friday, October 24, 2008

Long, slow goodbye...

Actually that is what I will be avoiding... great song though... (yes, obscure musical references will be ongoing until you are all converted)

Believe it or not I forgot about this blog completely until just now, such has been my week. Oh well. Anyway, clock is counting down, things still to do... More $$ spent this week, camera gear, ultralight sleeping bag, camera pack, etc etc. Visa for China picked up - Travel tip #529, do NOT try to pick up a visa from the Chinese Consulate while rushing to catch a flight to somewhere else...

Off to see the family this weekend, something I never do often enough. Possibly some fishing involved, something we do even less often.

Speaking of musical references, the quote "Dedicated to those who burned.." is Saul Williams, he is genius. The quote which is currently on my 'about me' section, "Hold your heart..." is from a track called 'Province' by TV On The Radio, also genius... And the web address "City Lights Fading" is from 'Crooked' by Evil9 feat. the genius Aesop Rock... as some of you know, once you hear that song, it will be stuck for a while. I am aware there is a punk/straightedge band called City Lights Fade, but I have never heard them and as such don't endorse their music...

Now that we have answered those questions, which I know have been troubling you...

I keep having to explain my trip at length to people... you know it really doesn't seem that complicated to me... I keep telling them that I am hoping to get off a plane in Singapore and hopefully getting back on to one in Hong Kong six weeks later, but when they ask any other questions and I respond "I don't know", they look all confused and concerned... Sorry but that's about it really...

I must say a great thanks to my doctor for her vote of confidence, when debating whether to give me a rabies shot or not, she concluded "No, I don't think we will bother, the way you travel you are more likely to get stabbed to death in your sleep than catch rabies..." although she did qualify that by saying "..but then I don't think anyone would be keen to try that on you anyway, so let's just say probably neither is likely to happen"... I did end up getting a couple of jabs just to make sure all my immunities are topped up, and an armload of pills to carry with me, along with a refresher on how to self-diagnose in order to self-medicate before I expire from something before I can get proper treatment.

Hmm, yes, for those who pointed it out, I am aware of the travel advisories for the areas I am going to, thanks.

Better go and brave long-weekend traffic, probably the most dangerous thing I will do all year...