Monday, May 5, 2014

Alright so I'm on Johnson Avenue in San Luis Obispo and...

... I told you about that yesterday. And then it was Friday the 2nd I think... We in fact left SLO (which is a great acronym for a town right? They all just call it SLO... Kind of suits it, it's chilled out) and went back up north a bit via a different route to Paso Robles, where we had noted a car and plane collection... The Estrella collection is pretty cool, and apparently they have a big wings and wheels show coming up. They had some nice static jet-era planes and military vehicles which were pretty cool but static (non flying) planes are never quite the same to me, it's like looking at replicas... Or stuffed animals as opposed to live ones.. 

The car collection which took up nearby sheds was cool, your usual local rich guy sharing his collection with the world, although this guy spent much of his money on racing cars, primarily NASCAR and dirt track and stock cars, along with some nice vintage stuff. A lot of the race cars were possibly a bit lost on me as I have never been much into American racing series... But still cool to see. 

            

                                

We were sufficiently impressed and made our way south again, swinging back into SLO for gas and a bite to eat, and found the swanky part of town, which is, in fact, all of downtown. Like many of the coastal areas SLO was apparently once sparsely populated and a bit of a hippy town in the bush. These days like many others it seems fed by tourists, vineyards and market gardening/orchards and by the looks of things is pretty well off. We got a milkshake for lunch and trucked on again... Faced with increasingly busy roads and uber-touristy or swank beach spots down the coast nearing LA, we struck out towards Bakersfield for a look around. Driving inland was quickly starkly drier than the fertile and well irrigated coast


We got on to Bakersfield and found a Quality inn which was a step up from some recent places and both being a bit tired and not having seem any cheap options in our lap around town decided to splash out a little... I was glad of this as the junk diet had apparently decided to finally catch up on me, and my body had decided to say a loud and clear "No" the night before and started to throw random rolling stomach pains at me... I was tired and sore and glad to lie down. I guess it was only a matter of time given that what I have been eating for every meal the last few weeks is essentially the exact polar opposite of my diet at home... I hope eating healthy hasn't ruined me for travelling from now on!! We shall see. Trying to be a trooper and truck on regardless I did head over to Denny's and destroy a (terrible, sandy coloured) American steak (say no to feedlots... One thing I do agree is wrong... that and grain feeding makes for appalling beef) and veges, but more stabs to the gut made me regret that also. With that, it was time to stop being a wuss get some sleep.






No comments: