Monday, November 17, 2008

No Mr Bond..! I expect you to die..!

I am not sure where that came from apart from all the ads for tours to the James Bond island where they filmed... somethingorother...

Well got up today with big plans for grand walking tour and... got to the museums to discover the public holiday we were told ran from Fri-Sun is in fact ongoing til the 19th and everything is #$%&*%# CLOSED... well stoked with that... today has been trying to sort out money situation after issues with my credit card... word of warning, all those "international assistance" numbers they give you do NOT work... I have been given numbers for "Thailand" that redirect to the US, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand... and you cannot access most "free" or "collect call" numbers from Thai phones... and the "replacement card in 48 hours" is in fact one to two WEEKS.. grrrrrrr... Anyway, will sort something, just have to make sure I have funds before I venture back out into less "developed" parts of the world.

Bangkok seems a reasonably good town, although infected with the same tourist infestations as the rest of Thailand, and there is very little "real" Thailand on display, if such a thing exists any more (which I am sorely doubting at this point). I literally can't walk from one end of my little street to the other without at least half a dozen offers of cheap suits, another half dozen for taxis, another half dozen for tuk tuks... watches... dvd's... tshirts... lighters... it's a pretty sad state of affairs and makes me miss Malaysia and Singapore already... however there are good things about it, some stuff is cheap although beware anyone who tells you that you can do Thailand on next to no money... they sting you for the things you can't do without, and the money just keeps on flowing outwards from your pocket. Anyway, not to get all bitter, I have some hopefully good things planned the next few days although may have to hang around a lot longer than anticipated if I want to see most of the best sights when they reopen... such is life... hope all is well where you are

onya

No comments: